Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Upward Call

Passage

"I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14-15 (NKJV)

Pondering

Today I woke with excitement knowing I had an important task to finish - the Discipleship Manual i've been working on. As I went through the day, hardly breaking to drink and eat, I felt like I was going onward and upward on a mountain expedition. When I finally typed the last page and added the last illustration I sat back , speared my flag into the mountain ice at the summit, and grinned!

God's call on our lives is an upward journey, not a drag-along, never ending, monotonous flat land (though there will be wilderness moments to be sure) or a series of tumbling ever downwards slopes that leave us more depressed at the end of every day than when we first set out (though there will be valley moments in out pilgrimage).

Pressing onwards does require sacrifice. I think of the many things I have had to give up to go on the journey God has called me on. I had to leave family, friends and country and arrive in a foreign land with only a stuffed backpack and a few dollars to my name. Though I had earned a good degree at Imperial College, London, God's call caused me to turn my back on the riches, large house, nice car etc. that would have been my lot If I had continued on that path. However, this path that God set me on is an upward one. My faith is going up. My joy is rising. My fulfillment in life is on the up. Hallelujah! I await the complete prize at the end - It truly will be awesome as the prizes I have had from Him in this journey itself are already out of this world.

Poem

Onwards and upwards on His holy Highway.
Soaring ever higher as I turn to Him and pray,
Then rising from my knees to walk with Him in faith,
I revel in the task given, and move in it by His grace.


Prayer

"Lord, I'm so grateful for your call on my life. Thank you that you have called me on an ever upwards journey of great joy and meaning. Yes, there's an awesome prize at the end, but you bestow many gifts on me as I walk towards that prize. The gift of joy. The gift of fulfillment and meaning. Take me higher Lord. Lead me on to greater heights in you every day. I press on to the glorious goal, not with drudgery or depression but with great joy. There may be pot holes on the way, painful thorns scratching at me, but my eyes are fixed on the summit and I launch forward with great joy. Thank you Lord. Amen."

No comments: